Thursday, May 20, 2010

motor motor motor

It's been awhile since I've written, but it's because I've been so busy riding my MOTORCYCLE! Not really, but sort of. I took it out several times and just rode on some streets near my apartment that are very lightly traveled. I was a little nervous because for awhile my brake light wasn't working and my turn signals seemed to only work half the time. Fortunately, do to some sleuthing on my part and a little hands on education I was able to get my brake light to work. The turn signals are a different story, but it seems like they've been working for the last few rides without any issues.

Last Sunday I finally ventured out on the bike into the great unknown (except that i knew where i was going)... Andy and I rode to Red Jacket park where there are a couple trail systems that meet. (I've been there before and showed some pictures of the Le Sueur River before on this blog). Then we went a bit on highway 66. The total trip was about thirty miles. That night we made the same trip again just to get more practice. I wasn't feeling well on Monday so I didn't go out, but I took another ride on Tuesday with Andy. We went south on 22, west to 90, and south-east-ish on 16. We turned around where 16 meets up with 22 and did the reverse route home. That trip was also about 30 miles.

I'm still a little shaky on things--I'm not quick on taking turns, sometimes forget what gear I'm in, and have a little trouble always getting into first gear, but I'm feeling pretty good about it overall. I plan on getting out as often as possible though the wind seems to get in the way a lot (riding when it is really windy is scary and sometimes dangerous). The wind also seems to think it's amusing to blow my bike cover off and rip it which frustrates me to no end. I'll attempt to remember to get a picture of me on my bike so you can make fun of how alien i look in my helmet. :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand the wind/bike/sucks thing! I wanted to take mine to a wedding shower (mostly for the old auntie shock value), but I am sure it is too windy. Plus helmet-hair..nuf said!
    Trimont seems to have a lot of old bikers and they have organized enough to say they are going on rides the first and third Sundays of the month, weather permitting. I went on my first ride last Sunday. North on hwy 4, east on 50? Thru Truman all the way to 169, south to Blue Earth. Stopped to eat. South on 169 thru Elmore, turned west on the road that goes past Mandy's house all the way to 15 south and west again to the Welcome road in Iowa, then north to familiar roads and home. They went way farther and way faster, mostly 65, than I would have chosen to go but it was really fun, and I only almost killed it once! Good thing Randy was behind me. Down shifted into 1st instead of 2nd on a turn. Ended up going a little over 100 miles in the back of 18 or 19 bikes. Too cool for a granny like me! I wasn't the only grandma, but I was the only bitch driving. If we head your direction I'll give you a heads up.see ya,A

    ReplyDelete