Sunday, June 1, 2014

New Project + Camping

Last summer my friend, Kelli, offered to give me her old motorcycle. It's an '82 Suzuki gs650. It has not been started/ridden in five years. So it is kind of rough shape. I did not work on it last year. I intended to get it moved to Fairmont so I could work on it in my mom's garage. That never happened, so this summer I asked if I could just work on it in the storage garage where it is currently at. Last week I started on it.

I removed the battery and spark plugs, took off the gas tank, and took off the carbs. I will need to get rid of the old gas and try to change the oil. That might be challenging. I have not checked the oil, but it's probably a thick sludge that will be hard to drain. I am currently trying to clean up the carbs. I have not gotten too far into it. I need to get a special screwdriver to help remove some of the jets.  I have also encountered a pin that I can't seem to get out which holds the float in place and I'd really like to get that figured out so I can clean the whole thing a bit better. There are 4 carbs. So far I've only looked at the one. I am hoping the rest do not have the same issue. We shall see.

I also went camping last weekend and the this one. Over memorial day, I went to Minneopa where I met a really fun couple who gave me and my friend a cribbage board, a ton of food, and fire wood. Yesterday I went to Rapidan. It poured rain which got under my tent. It was so bad that it felt like I was on a water bed. The friends I was with and I all ended up bailing and going back home. I had to go back today to get my soggy gear. It was fun before that part though. I am hoping to get a lot of camping in the year.

1 comment:

  1. Such reconstruction and dismantling work should end up showing the great results! I'd like to see the outcomes of the work!

    ReplyDelete